Guidelines for Effective Advertising
We want to see you get the most value out of your advertisements – so we have produced the following guidelines. Based on observations, internet marketing principles and good old common sense, this simple advice will help you make your listings more effective.
- DO use photos! You can list up to 5 photos, so list at least one. Listings with a photo are far more likely to be viewed than a blank listing. There is no charge for adding photos on Community Trading.
- Make the heading clear and concise – we’ve seen a few headings where the intention seems to be to tell a story. A clear product specific heading will be easy for the customer to understand. It is worth ensuring that the title is different on each ad, this help customers understand options and also means that any enquiries will be clearly marked with which product it relates to.
- Consider using a ‘Featured Listing’ – Featured items get extra exposure by way of the homepage slider, page sidebars and bolder, embossed listing display. This is especially useful for recurring products as the featured status will apply to the entire duration of the listing. If listing a number of items, making one a featured item can give you opportunity to refer people to your other listing. Simply ask users to ‘view my other listings’.
- List all products you want to sell – if you are listing business products, don’t just list one product, and then expect them to ask you for a catalogue. List as many products as is practicable! Every product gives you more exposure on the website – and more chance of people finding you!
- Stagger your listings – this one is a bit of a trick and suits people listing recurring products best. New listings show on the front page, and in regular newsletters sent to users. Thoughtful management of listing can make this more effective for you!
- Not recommended – If you list all your products at once they will show on the front page all in a row, and be emailed in our latest listings all together. This may be fine if you are selling a lot of one-off personal items, but the next set of listings may well push you off the homepage, and maybe even push you off the newsletter.
- Recommended – If you have a number of products to list, list no more than a few each day. In this way you will have a presence on the front page more often and will feature in newsletters more regularly. The advantages of this continue in that listings will ‘expire’ and hence re-list in the same manner.
- Provide good information – Writing a good description is a wise investment; many customers don’t LIKE asking questions and will completely ignore a sterile looking ad. Do include as much relevant info as possible. Ideally, give customers enough information to be able to make an informed ‘Purchasing Decision’.
- Ensure your price is reasonable – Internet shoppers are astute purchasers – if they can buy the same product for a dollar less elsewhere, they normally will. With Community Trading the money stays within the community, so if you product sells for too little, the savings are in the community and will very likely go towards school funding somewhere! If a product is too expensive, it simply won’t sell.
- Answer questions quickly – Ensure that the email address on your user account is monitored very regularly so that you can respond to any enquiries quickly.
We hope this is of assistance to you, and look forward to seeing your ‘savvy’ listings flowing in!